It’s that time of year again! Winter is here and if you’re driving somewhere snowy this season it’s important to make sure your car is ready for the journey. Quic Transmission Automotive wants to make sure you’re safe during your winter adventure and by following these simple steps to winterizing your vehicle, you’ll be able to ensure your car is ready for whatever the season throws at you.
- Stock Your Car with Winter-Worthy Gear – Embrace your inner scout and remember to always be prepared for winter emergencies. Before you travel this winter take a moment to pack a proper emergency kit to keep in your car in case of an accident. You can purchase pre-assembled kits online or at any store that sells auto supplies, but if you plan to assemble your own, make sure your kit includes bottled water, a blanket, non-perishable food, jumper cables, and a first aid kit.
- Swap Out Old Wiper Blades – Visibility is an important key to safety on the road. Whether you’re traveling through pouring rain or heavy snow, durable winter wiper blades will help clear your windshield and let you see every twist and turn that comes your way.
- Check Your Battery – Cold weather can harm automobile components and if you have an older battery under the hood, then it might not be strong enough to handle the chill. Remember to have your car battery checked and, if necessary, replaced before your winter road trip.
- Change Your Oil – No matter the season, it’s always important to stay on top of your oil change schedule. However, the cold temperatures in winter can cause the oil in your car to thicken and impact how it lubricates and cools your engine. Having fresh oil in your engine will help your car can run efficiently even in cold weather.
- Check On Your Tires – Not only does the cold temperature compromise the air pressure in your wheels, driving in the snow can dull the treading on tires. While snow tires are a good investment for areas with heavy snow, it might not be worth the price if you’re just making a quick trip. Instead, consider picking up snow chains that you can easily remove when the weather turns warmer.
When you follow these steps, your car will be ready for a long winter trip or just a short journey. If you live in the Albuquerque area, you can schedule an appointment with the professionals at Quic Transmission Automotive to help prepare your vehicle for travel or get reliable preventative maintenance. Give us a call at (505) 271-8000 to learn more. https://quictrans.com/