When it comes to maintaining your car, it’s important to remember that the transmission is a vital part of what keeps your ride running. Your transmission makes sure that the right amount of power goes to your wheels as you drive and adjusts when you increase or decrease your speed. While the average automatic transmission isn’t exactly delicate, it can still be damaged by persistent bad habits. Some of these habits are:
- Frequently Overheating Your Car – With summer in full swing, this one is key for everyone to keep in mind. Similar to how our bodies don’t function well when we’re overheated when your transmission goes over its maximum temperature of 200 degrees, its performance begins to suffer. Transmissions typically overheat as a result of issues with the transmission fluid, but can also be caused by heavy towing, frequent stop and go driving, or very hot climates.
- Ignoring Your Fluid – Just like getting frequent oil changes is important to your engine’s health, keeping an eye on your transmission’s fluid is central to its well-being. Your transmission’s fluid can become dirty over time and needs to be changed, if fluid levels get low the internal components cannot cool or lubricate properly and using the wrong type of fluid can pretty much kill your transmission.
- Sudden Stops & Starts – Stop and go driving doesn’t feel great for passengers and is terrible for your transmission. Worse than constant stopping and going are sudden braking and fast starts. Harsh stopping can damage your engine components and transmission mounts while taking off like a race car can cause the torque converter to produce a lot of heat and could potentially lead to overheating.
- Ignoring Problems – Like with your own health, ignoring problems in your car won’t make them disappear. If you hear strange noises when changing gears, find dark red fluid stains in your driveway, or experience shaking, grinding, slipping, or even stalling then it’s time to have your transmission checked out by a professional.
- Skipping Service Appointments – If your vehicle has any or all of the above issues, then it’s especially vital to stay on top of your appointments. Don’t skip over service appointments even when you have fairly good driving habits. Maintaining a regular maintenance schedule can help prevent issues from developing.
Avoiding or correcting any of these bad habits can go a long way to save your transmission. Make sure to be mindful of overheating, take care of those fluids, try not to stop or start rapidly, and treat any transmission problems seriously. And of course, when you do need help under the hood, call Quic Transmission & Automotive Services to schedule an appointment with our trained team of technicians. Call us at 505-271-8000 today.